attemping to set up a LAMP server

keith smith klsmith2020 at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 20 19:44:32 MST 2007

Do you start your script with "<?php" and end it with "?>" leaving odd the quotes?

eric© <ericlists at gmail.com> wrote: First off, I'm still a Linux n00b...while I've got the basics of Linux down, venturing beyond basic confs and apt-get is still beyond me, and I seem to have found myself in that "beyond me" area.

 My ultimate goal is to get Gallery2 running, so that I can gracefully do photos on my webserver.  I have Apache2, mysql-server, php5, and Gallery2 installed (whatever apt-get grabs).  This is on a Debian etch system (installed about a week ago)  Apache2 _appears_ to work correctly, and my page is visible at  www.urbexgrp.com from the outside.  I was able to successfully create a gallery2 database using mysqladmin.  But regardless of what I do, I can't get .php files to execute in a browser (always just shows the source code).  I've spent the past week attempting to get php and apache to play nicely together, and well, I'm lost.  I've spent so many nights awake, and tried so many things, I've lost track of what I did.

 Should I be not messing with apt-get with all this?  Should I be installing/compiling from source code?

 eric

Keith Smith
A link from my website to yours
Submit Your Metro Phoenix Website