attemping to set up a LAMP server

Kenneth madhse at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 20 15:05:11 MST 2007

> successfully create a gallery2 database using mysqladmin.  But regardless
of
> what I do, I can't get .php files to execute in a browser (always just
shows
> the source code).  I've spent the past week attempting to get php and
> apache to play nicely together, and well, I'm lost.  I've spent so many
> nights awake, and tried so many things, I've lost track of what I did.

I don't have a Debian based system, so details might be different, but verify
that apache's PHP module is installed (it's a separate package on some
systems), and make sure  the module is loaded somewhere in the apache config
file (on my Gentoo box, there's a directory /etc/apache2/modules.d with a
file that has lines like

LoadModule php5_module modules/libphp5.so
AddType application/x-httpd-php .php
AddDirectoryIndex index.php

Sorry I can't paste all the lines, not at that machine atm but hopefully this
helps