770, N800, Gp2x, etc.

Joshua Zeidner jjzeidner at gmail.com
Sat Jan 13 16:30:55 MST 2007

On 1/12/07, der.hans <PLUGd at lufthans.com> wrote:

> Am 12. Jan, 2007 schwätzte Joshua Zeidner so:

> plays

> on

> > The truth comes out...
> >
> > http://apple.slashdot.org/apple/07/01/12/0430200.shtml
>
> Out of the comments.

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenMoko
>
> I don't like only having on screen controls. I guess it makes the device
> more configurable, but I don't like not being able to see the buttons in
> the sun. If the voice dial works well that might be sufficient.
>
> With which carriers would this work?

   I am interested in the answer to this question as well.  I have heard
many say that American is behind in terms of cell phone network standards
and rates poorly in terms of cell network offerings.  I am not sure if any
GSM phone will work in the USA( at least for a reasonable price and service
).  The cell industry in US is in need of regulation and standardization,
but given the current state of the FCC I doubt that is happening anytime
soon.  There is also the 3G standard, that from what I know is limited to EU
zone.

   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3G

   The economics of the cell phone industry are quite complex.
Compatibilities and standards are rolled into service fees.  It seems like
the cell world is frantically holding back the changes that recent
technology have made possible.

   BTW- what happened to the Tempe municipal wireless project?

  -jmz

--
.0000. communication.
.0001. development.

JOSHUA M. ZEIDNER
IT Consultant

++power; ++perspective; ++possibilities;
( 602 ) 490 8006
jjzeidner at gmail.com