770, N800, Gp2x, etc.

Ted Gould ted at gould.cx
Thu Jan 11 20:36:06 MST 2007

On Thu, 2007-01-11 at 15:17 -0700, Jason Hayes wrote:
> On Thursday 11 January 2007 12:43 pm, Vaughn Treude wrote:
> > der.hans wrote:
> > > Am 11. Jan, 2007 schwätzte Ted Gould so:
> >
> > The Nokia 770 can play audio OK and video poorly.  Hopefully the 800
> > will have more power.
>
> From what I have read, it has an upgraded CPU - some are saying in the 320 Mhz
> range, others claim 400. Either way, it is faster than the 200-ish Mhz unit
> in the 770.

I find the video works well if you get it into the right format.  It
seems to be picky overall.  There is a nice perl script that will
reformat and encode video for the 770.  I regularly watch video on mine.

http://www.bleb.org/software/770/#encode

The docs I read said the N800 has a 320 Mhz processor, but I believe
that they also have a graphics chip of some kind that helps out on the
N800 -- they support the Xv extension in X while the 770 did not.

> They have also bumped up the RAM - to 128M, 256 flash and replaced the MMC
> slot with two CF slots that can take up to 4 Gigs. (see
> http://europe.nokia.com/A4305063)

They're actually two full size SD slots instead of a RSMMC slot.  This
is important because the internal flash in the 770 was no replacable, so
you couldn't really run your swap on it.  And it is a pain to run swap
on the removable card.

		--Ted