OT - OSS licensing help

Darrin Chandler dwchandler at stilyagin.com
Mon Jan 8 14:54:21 MST 2007

On Mon, Jan 08, 2007 at 09:27:08AM -0700, Randy Melder wrote:
> I guess I'm totally stepping in it now... but it seems like the GPL is aimed
> at preventing software from becoming proprietary at any point. That's not
> really my goal. I want people and evil corporations (people in cubes) to
> make money. If they can do it by using my code, that's fine. I just want
> other programmers to know where my code came from.
>
> I'm leaning toward the BDS license. Convince me otherwise?
>
> ; )

I won't convince you otherwise, BSD, GPL, or whatever. It's your code,
and if you choose to share it via an open source license then it's your
decision.

Aside from any philosophical reasons, there are practical reasons for
the different licenses as well. Note that Google releases different code
under different licenses for practical reasons.

So really, it's about your objectives and desires, and how well a given
license fits your criteria. :)

dwchandler at stilyagin.com   |  http://bsd.phoenix.az.us/
http://www.stilyagin.com/  |