OT - OSS licensing help

Darrin Chandler dwchandler at stilyagin.com
Sat Jan 6 07:22:50 MST 2007

On Fri, Jan 05, 2007 at 09:55:16PM -0700, Randy Melder wrote:
> I have a piece of software that I'd like to release to the community. I'm
> wondering which license to apply.
>
> Is there a good web page that breaks down the different options (GNU, BSD,
> etc.)???

First, kudos to you for taking the time to choose a license! Too many
people pick one without really knowing what they're getting.

Alan has given some nice resources. There was another one out there that
I liked, but I can't seem to Google it up just now. :(

If you end up liking the BSD license, please try to go with the "new" or
"revised" BSD license without the silly, archaic advertising clause.

I would also advise you to stick with one of the major licenses. Lots of
companies and/or projects have introduced their own with various qwerks
and tweaks, and the proliferation of licenses is just confusing. Some
that qualify as "open source" are not really free. Gnu and FSF are good
for finding what's Free/Libre, even if it's not GPL.

dwchandler at stilyagin.com   |  http://bsd.phoenix.az.us/
http://www.stilyagin.com/  |