Nokia 770 - keyboard question

Vaughn Treude vltreude at deru.com
Fri Jan 5 14:04:34 MST 2007

Jon M. Hanson wrote:
> On Friday 05 January 2007 08:41, Vaughn Treude wrote:
>> Hello all,
>> This isn't an off-topic question, since the Nokia runs Linux!
>> I have a Nokia 770 and like it very much.  I need to get a Bluetooth
>> keyboard.  I hope there are some Nokia users out there that might have
>> an opinion on which to get.
>>
>> 1. The Thinkoutside Stowaway _Universal_ Bluetooth keyboard gets rave
>> reviews, is definitely compatible with the Nokia, and retails for $150.
>>   (Ouch!) It's a small, four-row dual fold keyboard.
>> 2. Stowaway also has another Bluetooth keyboard that is not designated
>> as "Universal."  Don't know if it works with the Nokia; and I'm having
>> trouble finding that info due to Thinkoutside's confusing and
>> inconsistent use of product names and numbers.  It's $120, and not as
>> compact as the "Universal" model.  The keyboard has 5 rows, and is
>> touted as "full size."  I would prefer a more familiar layout over the
>> smaller size, as long as it works with the Nokia.
>> 3. Freedom's Universal model is cheaper still (retail price $90).  It's
>> got five rows, and I understand it works with the Nokia.  But how is its
>> quality?
>>
>> I'd appreciate any feed back.
>> Vaughn
>
> 	I don't have any specific advise for the Nokia 770 but I would think that any
> Bluetooth keyboard would work. If manufacturers conform to the Bluetooth
> standard (and they do or they wouldn't be able to use the Bluetooth logo)
> then you are free to choose whatever Bluetooth keyboard suits you.

Jon,
 From what I understand, there are different levels of compliance.  The
Nokia supposedly requires a Bluetooth interface that supports HID (I
assume this is the same Human Interface Device that USB supports).  For
example, one reference said that the _original_ Freedom Bluetooth
keyboard does not support HID but the Universal and Mini models do.  To
make things more confusing, another person said he'd gotten some non-HID
keyboard to work with the Nokia, but I think there's no guarantee on those.
Sometimes the more you research something, the more complicated it gets.
   :-)
Vaughn