security, encryption, and healthcare

Joshua Zeidner jjzeidner at gmail.com
Tue Feb 27 13:16:15 MST 2007

On 2/27/07, Josh Coffman <josh_coffman at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Excellent, Josh!
> Guessing my Math B.S. doesn't get me anywhere, and I'd understand that.
> It's just a B.S.; and I was too tired of being poor to accept the masters program offer. d'oh!
> Sounds like some other certifications would be helpful. Personally, I don't think I have the time. :(

  It is a telling sign that a B.S. no longer gets you anywhere...

> So Healthcare is growing, but how does that affect IT?

  Well, where the money goes, IT goes... but that is not necessarily
going to change things for IT people.  I would think that some
background in healthcare would be marketable, but health agencies
manage things in the same way as any other type of organization and IT
people typically arent directly involved in the administration.  One
thing I have found is that managers will sometimes view domain
specific knowledge negatively, because it is threatening to their
position.  Typically managers want highly technical people who are
just simply going to fulfill technical requests and don't have the
possibility of getting involved with the actual administration of the
particular business.

> I think it will become a bubble, and a big one...
> The large, aging sectors of our society will create an increased demand for health services. (Also, seems
> like so many people of various ages have 2-3 prescriptions for misc things.)

  so they say, but the problem is that the younger working people are
going to pay for it.  Health 'insurance' is not really insurance in
the classical sense, its a financial scheme that promotes the sale of
certain types of services, and allows for creative payment structures.
 Im not really sure why we have any more of an 'aging population' than
we have ever had( did the older generation have less kids? ).  It
always seems like healthcare hooplah to me.  Its not hard to figure
out why the Healthcare industry wants to promote this future of
millions of old people hooked up to expensive devices and taking
costly medications.  These are the types of issues that prohibit
national health care plans...  jmz