GRUB Menu for dual booting ununtu over vista RC!

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Mon Feb 26 18:35:40 MST 2007

On 2/26/07, Dazed_75 <lthielster at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2/26/07, Eric Shubes <plug at shubes.net> wrote:
> >
> > Dazed_75 wrote:
> > > I just installed Vista RC1 on a machine to demo for my club.  After
> > > installing the larger apps, I installed ubuntu 6.10 meaning to dual
> > boot
> > > the machine.  Vista originally occupied the entire disk.  Ubuntu
> > offered
> > > to resize that partition and add the usual ones for it.  Everything
> > > seemed to go well.  However, on rebooting there was no dual boot menu.
> > > GRUB was set to use a hidden menu with 3 seconds to ESCAPE before
> > > booting into ubuntu.  Looking at /boot/grub/menu.lst revealed no entry
> > > for any other OS after the magic part of the list.  sudo fdisk -l
> > > /dev/hda revealed the expected partitioning including the NTFS
> > partition
> > > as /dev/hda1 although it was not marked as bootable (I do not know if
> > it
> > > was after the initial install).
> > >
> > > I switched over to a similar box which dual boots XP Pro and unbuntu
> > > 6.10 which works properly.  fdisk revealed essentially the same
> > > partitioning except that the Windows NTFS partition was marked
> > bootable
> > > and the linux partition was NOT.  Huh?  I do notice
> > /boot/grub/menu.lst
> > > under the Windows section includes a line with the "word" makeactive.
> > >
> > > Anyway, I tried appending the other OS part of the grub menu from the
> > > box that works to the menu.lst on the box that won't boot windows
> > vista
> > > and just changed the title.  But that does not work.  Next I tried
> > > booting from the Vista CD and running its repair function but that
> > does
> > > not work either.  There was some text in one place that led me to
> > think
> > > Vista may be somehow hiding a boot partition that I may have wiped out
> >
> > > or made innaccessible.
> > >
> > > Does anyone have any knowledge on this?
> > >
> > > ============
> > >
> > > Oh yes, I just remembered I meant to go mark hda1 as bootable and
> > retry
> > > (though Vista not being able to repair makes me think that is not it).
> >
> > > Anyway I have to leave for an hour or so.  I'll check back in later.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't
> > > matter and those who matter don't mind.  - Dr. Seuss
> > >

> > http://apcmag.com/5046/how_to_dual_boot_vista_with_linux_vista_installed_first
> > This instructions at this link don't resize the NTFS partition, but it
> > does
> > cover adding the Vista menu item to grub after Linux is installed.
> > Should be
> > the same as your scenario.
> >
> > BTW, if you prefer to see the menu right away, comment out the
> > "hiddenmenu"
> > directive.
> >
> > --
> > -Eric 'shubes'

> [...]

BTW, I think the reason it wants the windows lines at the end is that when
there is a kernel upgrade, it prepends the lines for the new kernel, drop
any excess (over the stated limit, if any) linux kernel lines and leaves the
lines after the "Other operating systems: line alone.  So I suspect what
will happen to those folks change is that it will fall though the menu as
new kernels are added and become item 0.

and those who matter don't mind.  - Dr. Seuss