GRUB Menu for dual booting ununtu over vista RC!

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Mon Feb 26 18:29:53 MST 2007

On 2/26/07, Eric Shubes <plug at shubes.net> wrote:

> Dazed_75 wrote:
> > I just installed Vista RC1 on a machine to demo for my club.  After
> > installing the larger apps, I installed ubuntu 6.10 meaning to dual boot
> > the machine.  Vista originally occupied the entire disk.  Ubuntu offered
> > to resize that partition and add the usual ones for it.  Everything
> > seemed to go well.  However, on rebooting there was no dual boot menu.
> > GRUB was set to use a hidden menu with 3 seconds to ESCAPE before
> > booting into ubuntu.  Looking at /boot/grub/menu.lst revealed no entry
> > for any other OS after the magic part of the list.  sudo fdisk -l
> > /dev/hda revealed the expected partitioning including the NTFS partition
> > as /dev/hda1 although it was not marked as bootable (I do not know if it
> > was after the initial install).
> >
> > I switched over to a similar box which dual boots XP Pro and unbuntu
> > 6.10 which works properly.  fdisk revealed essentially the same
> > partitioning except that the Windows NTFS partition was marked bootable
> > and the linux partition was NOT.  Huh?  I do notice /boot/grub/menu.lst
> > under the Windows section includes a line with the "word" makeactive.
> >
> > Anyway, I tried appending the other OS part of the grub menu from the
> > box that works to the menu.lst on the box that won't boot windows vista
> > and just changed the title.  But that does not work.  Next I tried
> > booting from the Vista CD and running its repair function but that does
> > not work either.  There was some text in one place that led me to think
> > Vista may be somehow hiding a boot partition that I may have wiped out
> > or made innaccessible.
> >
> > Does anyone have any knowledge on this?
> >
> > ============
> >
> > Oh yes, I just remembered I meant to go mark hda1 as bootable and retry
> > (though Vista not being able to repair makes me think that is not it).
> > Anyway I have to leave for an hour or so.  I'll check back in later.
> >
> > --
> > Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't
> > matter and those who matter don't mind.  - Dr. Seuss
> >

> http://apcmag.com/5046/how_to_dual_boot_vista_with_linux_vista_installed_first
> This instructions at this link don't resize the NTFS partition, but it
> does
> cover adding the Vista menu item to grub after Linux is installed. Should
> be
> the same as your scenario.
>
> BTW, if you prefer to see the menu right away, comment out the
> "hiddenmenu"
> directive.
>
> --
> -Eric 'shubes'

The changes they made are the same as the changes I had made except that I
also commented out the hiddenmenu, changed the timeout to 10 seconds and
that I put my vista lines at the end like ubuntu had done on my other
machines.

In summary, the only potentially meaningful differences are that I had the
ubuntu install resize the ntfs partition and that I put the vista lines in
the grub menu after the ubuntu lines and they put them before.  I think my
next trys will be:

  1) put the Vista lines before linux line becuase it is a quick thing to
try but should not fix it,
  2) reisntall everything but put Vista in a shortened partition to begin
with (not sure I can with RC1)

and those who matter don't mind.  - Dr. Seuss