Hardware (was Re: ubuntuu/xubuntuu)

Erich Newell erich.newell at gmail.com
Fri Feb 16 21:10:10 MST 2007

After taking a peek at your hardware list, I'd say that you would be fine
for any distro you want...depending on what you plan on doing with it. If
you simply want an email/web/photo viewing/other light use box you should
see few difficulties, and I would recommend any of the ubuntu chain. (I
prefer regular ubuntu, but that is simply because I like the Gnome interface
best). If you want this system to run the fastest it can and aren't too
concerned about pretty widgets, then xubuntu is probably the best way to go.
It's very lightweight.

Any way you slice it, RAM will be the biggest limiting factor; and don't
expect to do any heavy lifting.

Personally, I'd setup debian on that system and relegate it to a minor task.
I simple machine several orders of magnitude more powerful could be built
fore a couple hundred bucks these days.

Cheers,
     Erich Newell