TOC for man

Eric "Shubes" plug at shubes.net
Wed Feb 14 07:53:43 MST 2007

I'm tired of hunting for man pages. My problem is, "man what"?

I usually know what package I'm looking for some documentation about (or
want to learn about), so I "rpm -ql package | grep man" to see what man
pages are available.

Is there a better way? Of course there could be. I've googled and came up
with nothing that's CLI oriented (which is what I want).

I'm thinking of writing a script:
mansfor [package_name]
that will give me a nice menu of man pages to browse for a particular
package. That would satisfy my immediate need. Then I'd probably add -s to
search for a string included in a package_spec, and optional section numbers
to filter, so it'd look more like
mansfor {section_number} ... {-s} [package_spec]

Does anyone know of something like this that already exists? I'm just not
inclined to reinvent the wheel.
--
-Eric 'shubes'