Crossover Office or alternatives? Mac even?

eric© ericlists at gmail.com
Wed Feb 14 06:26:11 MST 2007

Still attempting to make the full switch from Windows to *nix (After seeing
how Vista has the ability to flat out prevent drivers "known" to cause BSODs
from installing, I'll support it at work but I'm not running it myself).  At
the moment, I'm still stuck with the mapping apps like Streets & Trips or
Street Atlas, and to a lesser degree Quicken.  I can switch a lower featured
financial program if need be, but I've yet to see any native Linux apps even
come close to S&T or Street Atlas.

I've been Googling for a while, and I'm seeing a couple hits indicating that
I might be able to run an older version of Street Atlas to some degree of
success under Crossover.  I downloaded the trial copy, and will be playing
with it this weekend.  Are there other programs out there like Crossover
(other than Wine)?  I'm more than willing to pay for the software if
needed.  I'd rather give some company like Codeweavers $500 than to give MS
another hundred.  Given that, VMWare wouldn't be an option, as I'd
technically still have to license Windows.  If I'm going to do that, I'd
rather just have a dedicated mapping laptop.

I'm also open to the idea of picking up a Mac to do this, not to mention
I've been kicking around the idea of picking up a Mac anyways just to learn
the OS.

Eric