need PS with line out or different case

JT Moree moreejt at pcxperience.com
Tue Feb 13 12:49:56 MST 2007

I am building a server with 7 SATA drives in a RAID 6 configuration.  (# of
drives may change).  Since we need a new case anyway I'd like to explore some
possible configurations.

Right now the 7 SATA drives are in a separate case with separate power supply.
There are 8 cables running from the SATA controller to the case.

We have to power on the two cases separately because they are distinct and
separate.  I'd like to have the drive array case be powered from the main
system.  Old power supplies used to have an out plug where you could plug in a
monitor or other device but I can't find a modern PS that has this.

does anyone know of such a powersupply?

I also explored cases with SATA backplanes but we already have 1 case and the
cost of replacing it with two smaller backplanes seems too high.

Does anyone else have ideas on how to make this situation better?  It's not
terrible but is annoying to have to leave the second case on all the time or
remember to turn it on after the main system.

--
JT Moree
www.pcxperience.com

believed to be clean.