It's now illegal to turn on your computer

Joshua Zeidner jjzeidner at gmail.com
Sun Dec 30 22:30:13 MST 2007

On 12/30/07, der.hans <PLUGd at lufthans.com> wrote:
> Am 30. Dec, 2007 schwätzte Scott so:
>
> > I think you're getting a little over-excited there.
> > The point, I believe, that Josh is trying to make is
> > that the RIAA had a number of songs flagged awhile
> > back that could "phone home" when they're downloaded
> > via the internet.
>
> The songs called home? Or do you mean they released some with specific
> watermarks in order to track them?
>
> There are claims that the Apple DRM-free songs are watermarked to track
> who purchased them. Wonder if a binary diff could be used to drop the
> watermarks.

   In the case of audio watermarking, in the schema I am familiar with
the data is encoded in the spectral dimension.  A simple 'binary diff'
would not work.  AMOF, a binary diff wouldn't work to identify the
similarity between two different mp3 encodings of the same song.  It
has been proven however, that any watermark can be stripped from a
file, but *not* necessarily detected.  I would imagine that if the
recording industry chooses to invest sufficiently in watermarking,
they would not do so without at least a minimum of legal support
(criminalizing the removal of the watermark).

  http://www.ece.uvic.ca/~aupward/w/watermarking.htm

  -jmz