Cinelerra question

Ed plug at 0x1b.com
Sat Dec 29 12:18:01 MST 2007

Have fun with Cinelerra - you have a tiger by the tail!

first-off you  want to use Cinelerra-CV, see cinelerra.org for the
situation. 2) there is a kernel mod/setting required by Cinelerra. 3)
the documentation is great, just remember the Cinelerra design is
driven by production artists - if there was a time saving shortcut, it
is the default. 4) Cinelerra works from a few Live disks - Elive for
example.
http://www.elivecd.org/ - bypass install hell.
5) remember there is are two levels of protocols - the video/audio
level and the container format level (see Vorbis vs Ogg) - you need to
get'em both right. Relax and give the defaults a chance to "just doit"
you might be surprised. 6) If you haven't worked with video production
before, you are underestimating the level of detail with which you
need to be concerned. and pay attention to what works with what -
there are unseen affiliations.

Sorry I couldn't be more help, I have no idea what MPG* is and  my
experience with Cinelerra was - got in, did my thing and got out - the
locals are a scary bunch in Cinelerraland!  ;)   try the CV lists -
don't bug the developer.
Good Luck & Happy New Year

* I could look, but you're the expert...
On Dec 27, 2007 6:44 AM, Vaughn Treude <vltreude at deru.com> wrote:
> Has anyone out there played with Cinelerra?  I have a captured movie in
> MPG format that I want to edit.  Cinelerra did not let me edit in that
> format.  Eventually I discovered VLC, which let me convert it to a  MOV

If VLC works it, Cinelerra will too

> format, which Cinelerra can display.  However, the audio track doesn't
see #5