Is it yet possible to _really_ switch from Windows?

Darrin Chandler dwchandler at stilyagin.com
Wed Dec 26 18:32:59 MST 2007

On Mon, Dec 24, 2007 at 04:30:47AM -0700, gm5729 wrote:
> Am I just using the wrong distro for this stuff? Should I be looking at
> Suse, Fedora, Mandriva, or maybe even one of the BSDs instead?

As you might know, I'm kinda the "local BSD guy" here in town. I have
found OpenBSD very good for my needs. The hardware support has been
great for me, including wireless. And also, there's a lot less
"thrashing" of features, interfaces, et al.

The big issue for a lot of people is that it's free software, but it's
not Linux. Another big issue is that it doesn't come with a GUI
installer.

I still use Windows at work (no choice), but there's no Windows at home.
At home, 100% of my daily computing happens on OpenBSD. I do not spend a
lot of time unbreaking things that used to work. The time I do spend
unbreaking things is because I'm running the development version and
occasionally test patches for myself and others.

It's the kind of stability I grew to love about *nix back in the 90s
with Linux and more so with FreeBSD. Today, OpenBSD is the highest
quality and most stable OS available, imho.

--
Darrin Chandler            |  Phoenix BSD User Group  |  MetaBUG
dwchandler at stilyagin.com   |  http://phxbug.org/      |  http://metabug.org/