OT: Fliers for local computer shops?

Alan Dayley alandd at consultpros.com
Wed Dec 26 14:25:47 MST 2007

Shawn Dowler wrote:
> I moved to Gilbert about a year ago from San Diego and have been stymied
> when it comes to local computer shops ever since.  In San Diego there is
> a free weekly magazine called Computor Edge and many of the local
> computer stores advertise in the magazine posting their prices for the
> week in a condensed one-page form.  This makes it easy to compare prices
> on components and to call for availability before traveling.  I see
> these small shops all over the place, but I don't have time to stop by
> each and every one to grab their fliers.  I don't want to buy computer
> parts retail and I want to support the smaller specialized shops.
>
> I have run into this problem because my Freevo box died over the weekend
> (I think the fan on the northbridge died and it overheated, but I'm not
> sure) so now I'm looking at getting a Core 2 Duo, a new Mobo, some RAM,
> and a new power supply.  I cringe when I go into the retail stores and
> look at there things.
>
> I'm a long-time Linux user and would appreciate any help from my local
> comrades.
>
> Shawn Dowler

I am interested in this discussion, having wondered the same question
myself.  My suggestion, that I don't have the time to do right now, is:

- Get the phone number of a few of the shops.
- Call them and ask where they advertise or get the word out.
- Also ask if such a magazine is available.

A few calls should establish a trend, if there is one.

Alan