rsync help

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Mon Dec 17 13:06:56 MST 2007

Am 17. Dec, 2007 schwätzte Shawn Badger so:

> Ok, I jumped the gun. It looks like rdiff-backup is close, but still
> not exactly what I need.
> To restate it , I need to be able take the changes in a folder with
> many little image files and compare that to a different fold, but
> instead of syncing those changes right there, I need to make a file
> that contains all the differences with the images included. I will
> then take this file and send it to many servers off site and have them
> apply that file to there system to bring it up to date. I know I can
> do this in a script , but I was thinking that rsync or something like
> rsync could do it much more efficiently.

Essentially you're trying to avoid the computation time with each of the
clients?

They'll be mirrors, so have the same starting point, right?

You want to build a binary patch and have it applied?

I'm certain you've said that you've looked at unison. It seems like this
might be something unison could handle.

Also, here's a link to an email on using rsync to pull out the binary
diffs.

http://lists.samba.org/archive/rsync/2007-July/017978.html

Could you use patch? Can patch be configured to use a different diff
program?

ciao,

der.hans
#  "I guess I should've agreed with my boss more often. Today I was replaced
#  by a bobblehead doll!" -- Randy Glasbergen, 13Mar2006