Pointer to getting X11 DRM working under !root user

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Sun Dec 16 14:30:58 MST 2007

From: Mike Storke <storkus at yahoo.com>
> danceswithcrows at usa.net wrote:
>> From: Mike Storke <storkus at yahoo.com>
>>> Is there a HOWTO or file out there somewhere [for getting DRI
>>> without being root]?  I thought I found one once, but
>> What did that HOWTO tell you to do, and how did it fail?
> Which HOWTO are you referring to?

The HOWTO you said you thought you found.

>> First, we need the video card's chipset.
>> Section "DRI"
>>   Group      "video"
>>   Mode       0666
>> EndSection
> My "DRI" section was missing the "Group" argument.  Even so, after
> adding it and restarting X, the log still says DRI is disabled.
> The video card is an ATI Rage (128) Pro, and X detects it with
> no problem (being as old as it is).  The kernel has the r128 driver
> in it as well

Is r128 compiled in, or a module?  It should be a module.  You'd also
need the AGP module for your chipset loaded, since DRI requires AGP.
I sold my r128-using machine 1.5 years ago, so I can't reproduce its
config file, but I had to modprobe intel_agp and r128 before DRI would
work.  Find out your AGP chipset and make sure its support module has
been modprobed before X starts.  That's in /etc/modules.autoload.d/
for Gentoo users, YDistroMV.

> It's annoying I've never been able to solve it.  In the future,
> when I build my next dream machine, this will be very important
> so I can run Wine and my favorite games (I hope).

Right now, 3D is much easier with nVidia cards and the evil
binary-only modules than it is with ATi cards.