Pointer to getting X11 DRM working under !root user

Mike Storke storkus at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 16 11:32:09 MST 2007

--- Matt Graham <danceswithcrows at usa.net> wrote:

> From: Mike Storke <storkus at yahoo.com>
> > Is there a HOWTO or file out there somewhere [for getting DRI
> without
> > being root]?  I thought I found one once, but it didn't work for
> me.
>
> What did that HOWTO tell you to do, and how did it fail?

Which HOWTO are you referring to?

> > My machines are older and getting that DRM working would be
> > a huge boost, not to mention freeing up CPU cycles
>
> First, we need the video card's chipset.  That's "lspci | grep VGA"
> if
> you don't know what it is.  The answer to that question will
> determine
> a whole bunch of the subsequent steps.  You also need to have the
> following stanza in your /etc/X11/xorg.conf :
>
> Section "DRI"
>   Group      "video"
>   Mode       0666
> EndSection

My "DRI" section was missing the "Group" argument.  Even so, after
adding it and restarting X, the log still says DRI is disabled.
The video card is an ATI Rage (128) Pro Ultra TF and X detects it with
no problem (being as old as it is).  The kernel has the r128 driver
in it as well, so everything should be good to go.

This has been a nagging problem for years, but is especially a problem
now as it slows down Flash and everything else doing major work on the
screen.  It's annoying I've never been able to solve it.  In the
future, when I build my next dream machine, this will be very important
so I can run Wine and my favorite games (I hope).

Mike