Brief Wubi report

Alan Dayley alandd at consultpros.com
Wed Dec 12 07:46:40 MST 2007

Dazed_75 wrote:
> Which wubi-installer did you use?  They exist for different versions
> of ubuntu.  Last I looked the version for ubuntu 7.10 was still in
> beta.  I would be suspicious of the ubuntu version as well.  My
> experience trying 7.10 on a variety of machines seems to indicate it
> does not do as well on older hardware as 7.04 did.
>
> Also, if you used the wubi for 7.10, how much disk space did you
> specify?  I believe it really needs at least 4 Gb.  7.04 could get by
> with less (3 Gb I think).  More is better though.  Just uninstall wubi
> in windows and it should go away if you want to try again.  If you
> used the wubi for 7.10 and it does not work, try the one for ubuntu
> 7.04 instead.

I used the Kubuntu 7.10 installer with an 8GB image file.

I really can't blame Kubuntu yet.  The issue with two partitions to
start with is the most likely source of the problem.  Not only were the
contents of boot.ini split on the two partitions but uninstall of Wubi
and the image did not work.  In fact, the install image was not listed
in the Windows "remove programs" dialog.  This all points to Wubi not
understanding the disk structure.

I have reformatted the target system to have W2K on the main partition,
c:.  I'll try Wubi again when I get back to it.

Alan