Mathematica for Linux

Austin Godber godber at uberhip.com
Sun Dec 9 14:07:37 MST 2007

Joshua Zeidner wrote:
> Hello,
>
>   I am curious to know if anyone here uses Mathematica for Linux.  I
> use Mathematica, but have yet to see a working install on a Linux box.
>  Any info would be most appreciated.
>
> thanks,
>
>   -jmz

About 10 years ago they had a Linux version that seemed reasonable.  I
never used it on anything else so I wouldn't be able to compare it.  I
suspect there is little cross platform difference with the actual MATH
components.  Difficulties, if any are likely to be related to the UI
components.  Matlab for Linux works just fine.

Most of these mathy things have enjoyed considerable linux support for
over a decade and were some of the earliest commercial software
available on linux.  Supporting newer/weirder distributions has been the
main problem I have encountered, but that is typically installation
related and fairly easily resolved.

Austin