Mathematica for Linux

Derek Neighbors derek at gnue.org
Sun Dec 9 13:34:14 MST 2007

On Dec 9, 2007, at 11:59 AM, Joshua Zeidner wrote:

> On Dec 9, 2007 8:46 AM, Chris Gehlker <canyonrat at mac.com> wrote:
>> On Dec 8, 2007, at 9:56 PM, Joshua Zeidner wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>>  I am curious to know if anyone here uses Mathematica for Linux.  I
>>> use Mathematica, but have yet to see a working install on a Linux
>>> box.
>>> Any info would be most appreciated.
>>
>> ASU is very much a Maple shop. For that reason I expect you  will
>> find  more Maple users in metro Phoenix
>> --
>> Conscience is thoroughly well-bred and soon leaves off talking to
>> those who do not wish to hear it.
>> -Samuel Butler, writer (1835-1902)
>>

>   U of A has both systems installed on their public computers so I
> assume that they use both.  Universities typically use Maple for
> 'serious' research, but I find Mathematica to be more pleasurable to
> use.  It certainly has more of a 'play' factor to it.  I did read into
> Sage, and my primary concern is that you are not given any insurance
> that the libraries are properly implemented, and that could cause
> major problems.

There was a nice presentation on Sage[0] at Phoenix Bar Camp[1] this
weekend.  So, it is very funny to see it mentioned here.  Obviously
it is gaining traction.  First Wired[2], then Slashdot[3] and BarCamp
and now Phoenix Linux User Group. :)  Happy Mathing.

--
Derek

[0] http://www.sagemath.org/
[1] http://barcamp.org/BarCampPhoenix