mp3 tag editor

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sun Dec 9 11:14:30 MST 2007

On Sun, 2007-12-09 at 11:09 -0700, Matt Graham wrote:
> From: "jordi laforge" <laforge.jordi at gmail.com>
> > Does anyone know of an mp3 tag editor that will let you create your own
> > genres? Most just let you choose between a bunch of pre-set ones.
>
> IIRC, this all has to do with the type of tag being created.  ID3v1 tags
> store the genre as a number, and this number gets looked up in a preset
> list.  ID3v2 tags store the genre as a string, which can be freeform.
> The tag editor that I like is called tagtool, and is a GNOME app.  It
> makes editing mp3 tags really easy.  HTH,
----
as long as you seem to be knowledgeable about idtags, let me ask another
question.

I've been ripping my DVD's into mp4 on Linux. I tried setting idtags but
when I import them into iTunes, it seems the tags are completely
discarded. iTunes tag editing functions are a bit lacking. Are you
familiar with idtags and mp4 files and iTunes?

Craig