mp3 tag editor

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Sun Dec 9 11:09:06 MST 2007

From: "jordi laforge" <laforge.jordi at gmail.com>
> Does anyone know of an mp3 tag editor that will let you create your own
> genres? Most just let you choose between a bunch of pre-set ones.

IIRC, this all has to do with the type of tag being created.  ID3v1 tags
store the genre as a number, and this number gets looked up in a preset
list.  ID3v2 tags store the genre as a string, which can be freeform.
The tag editor that I like is called tagtool, and is a GNOME app.  It
makes editing mp3 tags really easy.  HTH,