power supply

Technomage-hawke technomage.hawke at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 14:13:07 MST 2007

On Thursday 06 December 2007 08:19, keith smith wrote:
> A basic surge protector uses a capacitor.  Once the capacitor is at
> capacity it becomes a basic extension cord.
WRONG!

lets explain a little here..

firstly, the "surge protection devices" are not capacitors. they are MOV's
(Metal Oxide Varistors) with a very fast clamp time and high current rating.
However, they have a "shelf life" after which (usually about 10,000
transients) they cease being functional (hence being nothing more than a
regular multiplug extension).

Now, according to the IEEE, a scenario of "defense in depth" is often best.
we start right out at the mains breaker panel with a household MOV (10,000 AMP
capable) and some large line filters (400 V AC each leg, low pass cutoff @
100 hz outer casing connected to a ground strap run to a ground spike right
below the breaker box).

on each outless in the house, a smaller version of that mains filter along
with some smaller MOV's (4 should do).

additionally, any electronic equipment that you consider worth it (computer
etc) should use a UPS/power conditioner (of course, at this point, the lines
are pretty filtered, but, it never hurts).

lastly (and I do this with all my computer gear), install a block of MOV's,
fuses and zener diodes at the output power blocks of your computers PSU (5.5
V zeners for the 5 volt lines, 3.5 for the 3.3 V lines, etc) this way. if
your PSU should have a catastrophic failure, at  least your motherboard (and
all components therein) sre reasonably safe.

granted, this may cost some $$$, but after a while, it does pay for itself in
reduced cost of repairs, losses, etc.

btw, on those circuits that run motors (such as your AC, refrigerator,
washer/dryer, etc, place extra heavy duty MOV's and extra line filtering.
this will reduce the transients caused by such devices from entering the rest
of the house wiring.