Free Software Accountant

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Wed Aug 29 15:49:53 MST 2007

Am 29. Aug, 2007 schwätzte eric© so:

> Seems to me that this isn't anything new....we've been dealing with
> issues like this with free software for years. I've always felt that
> it was my responsibility to determine suitability of any software for
> my uses (free software or not), including thinking about future use
> including compatibility issues.  In the case of anything I  use for my

Exactly. It's up to me to determine what's best for my needs.

I want software I can audit. I want software that doesn't try to hold my
data hostage, especially for my accounting.

I want software that doesn't require me to deal with license servers or
rental agreements, especially for my accounting.

To me those features make the effort of looking for a way to handle my
books via Free Software worth the effort.

George got bit by using Free Software and he might now value compatability
more than he did. I haven't yet gotten bitten. I still value access and
lack of artificial denials of service over compatability. I also think
that future compatability will improve.

So, back to my original question: Does anybody know of accountants/CPAs
who work in US-AZ that will work with Free Software?

Also, anybody know of a business ( non-profit or for profit ) that uses
Free Software for its accounting?

Not trying to be pithy or otherwise negative. Accounting is a dry subject.
Accounting in plain text is like dusty rice cakes :).

ciao,

der.hans
#  "I interviewed Jonathan Winters once in the late '80s, it was as if he were
#  narrating a hallucination that I didn't see." -- Terry Gross, 03Aug2006