Free Software Accountant

keith smith klsmith2020 at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 29 14:03:47 MST 2007

So is it off to Quick Books?

Matt Graham <danceswithcrows at usa.net> wrote: After a long battle with technology, Bryan O'Neal wrote:
> GNUCash does not export to CSV?!?!  CSV is the common denominator in the
> accounting world and can be formatted to be imported into just about any
> other app.

GNUcash's native data format is a semi-complex XML structure.  While it would
be possible to convert most of that into CSV, you'd lose some data or make
some data incomprehensible[0].  Y'know, things like currency units, GUIDs,
and split transactions might get garbled.  I think that may be why they don't
have it available by default.  That or they couldn't find out a way to do it
that wouldn't upset somebody.  (Or the code's so hairy that nobody wants to
work on it.  I've been using GNUcash since mid-2000, and though it does what
I need it to do, its list of dependencies is scary.)

[0] OK, "more incomprehensible than it is already".

--
   One OS to rule them all, with DRM to find them
   One OS to bring them all and with the EULA bind them

Keith Smith
(480) 584-4772
PHP Programming