Change OpenOffice.org Impress fonts?

Joseph Sinclair plug-discussion at stcaz.net
Tue Aug 28 23:31:29 MST 2007

What you may actually want to do is change the font-translation table, then re-import the presentation.  Make sure you enter a translation for the incoming font that's a problem, then translate to a font that has the same metrics (or as close as you can get).
The font translation table is in Tools|Options, then OpenOffice.org/Fonts.

There's no simple way in OO.o to change all text in a presentation.  You could, however, do the following, if desperate:
1) Unzip the .odp file into a directory
2) Open the unzipped xml files, and do a simple text search-and-replace for the font you're changing
This will take a bit (unless you've had time to familiarize yourself with the ODF spec; I keep meaning to do that myself one of these days...
You'll probably have to peck around in the XML files to find where the style information is.  ODF is a wonderfully well-thought-out spec, but it's not immediately obvious where things are.
The magic of XML document specifications is you can use text and XML tools to make sweeping changes, that doesn't mean it's easy, but it's possible.  One of the major problems with OOXML (and why I don't even consider it an XML format) is that it's binary blobs make it not possible to do the same replace-all-fonts trick with OOXML documents.