Stop feeding trolls (was something about a job, but it became a trollish flamefest)

Joseph Sinclair plug-discussion at stcaz.net
Tue Aug 28 22:16:51 MST 2007

Thank you, Nathan.  I don't think it's wise to remove the thread, but let's all STOP adding to it!

I agree that while PLUG should welcome job postings from legitimate sources with some relevance to the group, all replies MUST be off list.  The posting is relevant, the replies are NOT.
If you have information about a particular posting, good or bad, due to personal experience, I would recommend a simple "I have worked with this employer in the past, please contact me for details", THEN LEAVE IT ALONE!  Let people make their own decisions, and if they choose to ask you, they may; if they choose not to, that's their choice.
This is, normally, a civil, reasoned, and remarkably valuable email list.  Let's all commit to keeping the list clear of any and all vitriolic posts, no matter how civil.

In short, an old (for computing) adage definitely applies, and we would ALL do well to remember it.  DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Thank you,
Joseph Sinclair

P.S. In all the years I've been on the list (actively about 4 years, lurking for about 3 before that), I've only seen 2 or 3 completely negative threads like this.  That is INCREDIBLY good, let's all work hard to keep it that way.
P.P.S.  Please don't reply to this on list, feel free to berate me off-list if you will, but please, let's let this monster die.