OT: Security Begginer

Mike Garfias mike at garfias.org
Tue Aug 28 18:11:42 MST 2007

Then start hitting the the various bugtracking lists, the IRC
channels discussing these sorts of things.  Become good at finding
minimal-day exploits and figuring out how to use them.  Learn to use
nessus, nmap, metasploit, etc.  Read the RFCs for the major
protocols.  Buy a copy of TCP/IP Illustrated and read/understand it.

I'd also find a piece of software you want to exploit (say bind),
find a vulnerable version of it, and learn how to build and run the
exploits against it.  You need to be familiar with the process of
exploiting a box/network before you can reliably protect them.

Networking is very very very important.  Hacker types tend to clump
together in groups and help each other learn.  Find them and become
one of them.  The side benefit of that is that they also tend to help
each other find jobs.

Once you have the background then look into the CISSP.  But I'm
willing to bet by then you'll be employed.