Expand MAC filter list?

Alan Dayley alandd at consultpros.com
Mon Aug 27 16:11:37 MST 2007

Like most routers, the Linksys WRT54GL with stock firmware has a MAC
address filter list.  It is a security measure to only allow wireless
network devices with a known MAC to connect.

The MAC list is full.  Certain people who were in charge of maintaining
the list did not write down what MAC belonged to which laptop.  So, they
don't know who to delete from the list.  Rather than inventory every
laptop again to determine who to delete, I have been asked if the list
can be expanded.

1. Using the stock firmware can the list be expanded beyond the number
of fields available in the web admin UI?  If so, how?

2. What is the upper limit of MAC filter addresses in any 3rd party
firmware, such as OpenWRT or DD-WRT?

3. Where do I go to pick up a clue stick that will work on these people
so that I am not bothered with these things that should be handled in
other ways by someone other than me?  ;^)

Alan