OT:Looking to change careers into telecom (long re:)

eculbert eculbert at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 25 08:38:50 MST 2007

I would keep pounding the street AND the keys. Then,
if possible either get an afternoon shift or take
night classes to get an electronic test technician
certification/graduation/whatever. At least some basic
stuff that SHOWS you are interested in switching
careers for sure. You CAN learn enough on your own,
BUT proving it to the duh dah dit in Humongous
Relations dept who HAS NO true knowledge of what you
need to know/understand is the hurdle in any career
change.

A possible 'proof' you know something is to possibly
get a NEWLY issued Ham Radio License!! I am in ham,
and would welcome you, but this isn't about recruting
you, but YOU proving you know something about uhf and
radios!! IF you never make a contact, IF IT GETS YOU A
JOB, that is the point I am making.

I would deliberately NOT step above General Class
license the first sitting of the test. Why? So the FCC
issues you a 'ticket' showing the date on that to
INCLUDE in the back of your resume packet. THEN buckle
down and get the EXTRA CLASS!! Maybe the next month.

What does that show?? Ability to learn, interest, and
a 'go get'um attitude'. Just might be the 'ticket'
that shoves you above the rest, plus you customer
service record, digi knowledge, etc.

That extra license waved in front with maybe an $100
ht hanging off the hip when the boss is around JUST
might make a difference in pay raises and promotions
once inside also..sorta psychological thing.

One ham test is no longer done!!! That dang foriegn
language requirement... MORSE CODE was dropped as a
requirement at Midnight on 2/23/2007!! So, all you
need to learn is the book stuff.

Two (of many) ways to learn the license material if
interested are:

Goto:

http://www.arrl.org

http://www.arrl.org/arrlvec/examsearch.phtml?State=AZ

And locally? You can drive up to 19xx W. Dunlap in
shallow NW Phx and talk with Ham Radio Outlet

800-444-9476    602-242-3515      24 HOUR FAX
602-395-1244      phoenix at hamradio.com
1939 W Dunlap, Phoenix AZ 85021

 Just don't mention your true objective to 'use a
license' to get ahead career wise. The have all the
arrl books, plus many teaching aids from other
authors.

Remember, it IS a ticket you can attach to the resume,
AND it is learning how radio waves and equipment work.
Yes, it isn't cellular, but we do do digi stuff over
the air waves and the basic theory is the same.
Actually, I wouldn't attach my license copy, but do a
qrz.com search of my license and print that second
page out from it. Try ke7feg, me in that and you will
see my failure to go beyond the first ticket so
far...there is a secondary reason for that since cw
(morse code) is no longer required.

Well, may have 'bored' most, but guys, if you know
anyone switching to any 'radio' career, a general or
extra ticket JUST might put you one notch up on the
pile of apps.

Oh, there is a $14 exam fee...for mailing and
processing the apps by the group doing the testing.
The license is free from the government currently for
ever at 10 year renewals..which are free.

Ed/ke7feg

--- eric© <ericlists at gmail.com> wrote:

> My time in computers/IT is up...I've hit the burnout
> point.  I just
> can't honestly see myself tapping away at a
> keyboard/staring at a
> screen for the next 20 years.  I'm sick of sitting
> in an office all
> day, and I certainly don't want to deal with the
> consumers any more.
> I'm sitting here working on my Dell certs, and I
> just don't enjoy it
> like I used to.
>
> I want to be out in the field more, doing more
> physical hands-on type
> stuff.  I have a few friends in telecom work back in
> Detroit (I'm
> particularly envious of the guy that gets paid to
> travel the country
> servicing cell sites), and I really think that's
> where I want to go.
> I'm currently working in desktop support, and let's
> be honest here,
> there will always be a million kids who are "good
> with computers" who
> can do my job.
>
> I'm already pounding away at telecomcareers and
> monster.  Anyone have
> any tips for getting my foot in the door at some
> companies to get that
> all important experience, or even know any companies
> willing to give
> the new guy a shot?  While I don't have much in the
> way of relevant
> experience now, I'm an awfully quick study, and can
> pick up on new
> stuff real quick.
>
> eric

Hurry up November, already tired of the heat!

AND NOW..........The humidity!

Ed/ke7feg