OT:Looking to change careers into telecom

eric© ericlists at gmail.com
Sat Aug 25 01:47:13 MST 2007

My time in computers/IT is up...I've hit the burnout point.  I just
can't honestly see myself tapping away at a keyboard/staring at a
screen for the next 20 years.  I'm sick of sitting in an office all
day, and I certainly don't want to deal with the consumers any more.
I'm sitting here working on my Dell certs, and I just don't enjoy it
like I used to.

I want to be out in the field more, doing more physical hands-on type
stuff.  I have a few friends in telecom work back in Detroit (I'm
particularly envious of the guy that gets paid to travel the country
servicing cell sites), and I really think that's where I want to go.
I'm currently working in desktop support, and let's be honest here,
there will always be a million kids who are "good with computers" who
can do my job.

I'm already pounding away at telecomcareers and monster.  Anyone have
any tips for getting my foot in the door at some companies to get that
all important experience, or even know any companies willing to give
the new guy a shot?  While I don't have much in the way of relevant
experience now, I'm an awfully quick study, and can pick up on new
stuff real quick.

eric