vmware on fedora 7

Jason Hayes jason at jasonhayes.org
Thu Aug 23 12:27:47 MST 2007

On Thursday 23 August 2007 11:49:01 am 'josh coffman' wrote:
> Ahh, interesting. Honestly, I didn't think of trying a static ip setting.
> Does the nic in the guest OS (XP) then need to be set to static or does it
> just work?

So far, it has 'just worked' on my systems. Working from the "don't fix it if
it ain't broke" mindset, I have not taken the time to dig further into that.

> I did a bit more googling, and found a couple unsubstantiated claims.
> First, ndiswrapper might not allow bridging. Second, the vmware-any-any
> update might cause problems for wireless.

Not sure about that. Since I have set up my home office, I have not been using
wireless around the house that much (several months now). So my system is all
running on wired connections.

I know that I have had issues with wireless and VMware in the past.

> I'm using ndiswrapper and had to use the any-any update because F7 has a
> 2.5.21 kernel.

That part of Fedora is different than Mandriva's setup. So I can't comment on
what impact it would have. I have never used F7.

> I should also check mac filtering on my router as that might be a problem.
>
> -j
Definitely. I haven't had any problems with that at home, but I am constantly
running into mac address issues in hotels when I travel.

Good luck!
Jason