Ogg Theora question

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 13:49:24 MST 2007

On 8/22/07, Dan Lund <situationalawareness at gmail.com> wrote:

> Have you tried opening vlc via commandline and seeing the output when
> you open the file in it?
> That'd at least tell you if it's dumping information like "omg, wtf, is
> this file corrupted!#?!#$?" or something equally likely to be put in by
> an open source developer as an error message.
>
> --Dan

I tried that two ways (see below) with the same results except now I can see
the error messages in the terminal window.  It is not clear to me what
resources it means (RAM, Video RAM, etc) or what the various codes mean.
BTW I have played ogg theora stuff before here with vlc, but this is an HD
video so maybe that is making a difference.  Thanks for your help!

larry at ldesk:~$ vlc -v ~/Desktop/LinuxMCE_0704_Demo_Video_2mbit.ogg
> VLC media player 0.8.6 Janus
> [00000001] main private warning: This doesn't look like a valid plugins
> cache
> X Error of failed request:  BadAlloc (insufficient resources for
> operation)
>   Major opcode of failed request:  141 (XVideo)
>   Minor opcode of failed request:  19 ()
>   Serial number of failed request:  85
> larry at ldesk:~$ vlc -v file://~/Desktop/LinuxMCE_0704_Demo_Video_2mbit.ogg
> VLC media player 0.8.6 Janus
> [00000001] main private warning: This doesn't look like a valid plugins
> cache
> [00000284] main demuxer warning: no access_demux module matched "file"
> X Error of failed request:  BadAlloc (insufficient resources for
> operation)
>   Major opcode of failed request:  141 (XVideo)
>   Minor opcode of failed request:  19 ()
>   Serial number of failed request:  83
> larry at ldesk:~$  ll ~/Desktop/LinuxMCE_0704_Demo_Video_2mbit.ogg
> -rw-r--r-- 1 larry larry 349887691 2007-08-20 09:33
> /home/larry/Desktop/LinuxMCE_0704_Demo_Video_2mbit.ogg
>

> --
The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being
either proven right or pleasantly surprised.
  - George F. Will