iTunes

Nathan Aubrey nathan at paysonlinux.org
Tue Aug 7 22:20:10 MST 2007

On Tuesday 07 August 2007 06:13:12 pm you wrote:
> Nathan Aubrey wrote:
> > Do any of you use iTunes? How do you deal with it on linux or what do you
> > do?
>
> iTunes, the music sales download service and it's client software, does
> not run directly on Linux.  I have seen claims that it runs under wine.
>  I don't use it.  I don't buy DRM music.
>
> (I buy CDs or download from services like http://magnatune.com)
>
> iTunes, the music file organizer part of the iTunes client software, is
> easily replaced by many "as good" or better choices on your Linux OS.  I
> much prefer Amarok (http://amarok.kde.org/).  I use it with my iPod
> Nano, my kids use it with their Creative USB stick players and my wife
> uses it with her Creative Vision:M player.
>
> Aside: Yes I own an iPod.  It was a gift nearly two years ago.  It has
> never had an iTunes song on it, only MP3s from my ripped CDs or from
> non-DRM download sources.  One of these days I'm going to put
> http://www.rockbox.org firmware on it and have some real fun!
>
> Alan

A friend of mine has two laptops and a desktop and I installed Ubuntu on one
laptop and archlinux with KDE on the other laptop. He likes KDE so much he
bought a new desktop to replace his windows XP box and then asked me about
iTunes... He buys music through it, but I've showed him some other sites to
buy music from and I love Amarok, so I showed him how to use that.

But I don't have any kind of mp3 player, so I'm a little in the dark on that
side. I would like to buy one someday, but I keep having kids.... so money
isn't always around for my toys... ha ha

nathan

--

01001010 01100101 01110011 01110101 01110011
01010011 01100001 01110110 01100101 01110011