iTunes

Ben Francom bfrancom at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 18:56:50 MST 2007

On 8/7/07, Alan Dayley <alandd at consultpros.com> wrote:

> I don't buy DRM music.

Good plan Alan.  I regret having bought some music off the iTunes site in
the past due to the vendor lockin.  Another problem I had was that "I used
to could" convert mp4 music videos over  to MP3's in iTunes for my 3rd gen
(aka no video) iPod.  Since the subsequent release of video iPods, I could
no longer convert these files since it was a good format for iTunes and
newer iPod's, but did not realize I wanted the audio converted for my older
iPod.

Due to this and other issues with the Apple/OSX/iPod platform, I run Debian
on my old G4.

Aside: Yes I own an iPod.  It was a gift nearly two years ago.  It has
> never had an iTunes song on it, only MP3s from my ripped CDs or from
> non-DRM download sources.  One of these days I'm going to put
> http://www.rockbox.org firmware on it and have some real fun!

One issue I read about with rockbox is that if you have an HFS+ formatted
iPod, you can't load rockbox until you reformat it in FAT on Windows.
Anyone found a workaround?