Pointless rant: Red Hat Enterprise Server sucks!

Tony E - Jaraeth jaraeth at phoenixwing.com
Sun Aug 5 23:41:49 MST 2007

Matt Graham wrote:
> Alan Dayley <alandd at consultpros.com>:
>> Randy Melder wrote:
>>> Sounds like Kurt would be better off with Windows...
>>> Whooops! Did I say that?!?
>> Kurt may be too modest so I'll post this for him
>> http://people.kde.org/kurt.html
>
> Another Yooper in the desert!  Who would've thunk it, eh?
> (I know MTU well, though I went to U of M.)  Kurt may
> remember Neomaize, Apple Man, Monsoon, and Iconoclast if
> he was on the Keeweenaw BBS scene at the appropriate time.
> Or not.
>
> Anyway:  I was never very impressed with any of the
> pointy-clicky tools like YaST.  Most of the time, I was
> annoyed at their inflexibility.  However, different people
> have different needs, and a userspace programmer may have
> different priorities than a guy like me.
>
> Tony E - Jaraeth wrote:
>> As a general rule, I don't use a shell script I didn't
>> write.
>
> ...so you don't compile anything from source, and your
> $LESSOPEN is unset.  Right?

Technically, you just backed me into a corner ;)  But alas, this is the
reason so many of us love OSS... we can hack it and see what it's doing.
 In that very same spirit, yes, I/we can check out the scripts that
RedHat use such as 'system-config-network', and tweak to my hearts content.

My point, and thus my personal preference, is to configure my systems by
hand, that is, network settings, hostname, BIND/dns, Samba, etc.  I do
compile a lot of software by hand (and thus why Gentoo & Slackware are
my two favorite distro's) while I also have used 'rpmbuild' and
downloaded rpm's using yum's many repositories for any RedHat based
distro's I use.

I digress though, if one truly was ultra paranoid, one would have to
inspect & analyze all software prior to compiling it, and would have to
build their own distribution.  http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/ :)

~ Tony E