HELP! Need a laptop for Linux Expo Tomorrow!

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Sat Aug 4 04:09:40 MST 2007

Am 04. Aug, 2007 schwätzte Phillip Waclawski so:

> I had thought I could make it through the hands on tutorial Monday with
> the old linux laptop I had set up, but the video is basically dead.
>
> I would have loved to have waited for a review of the Dell Ubuntu
> laptops, but that is no longer possible, I leave sunday at 1:00pm, so...
>
> I need a laptop that can works with linux. I have a wireless card and
> ethernet card that I know will work fine, but I need a laptop,
> preferably with DVD RW  and a decent video card.

Check Red Seven. They specialize in GNU/Linux and sell used laptops. I
don't know for sure that they have new laptops as well.
www.RedSevenLinux.com

> Someplace like Fry's, PC Club, or even Best Buy if I have to, so long as
> you know one that will work with a distro such as CentOS (preferred) or
> Ubuntu.

One person I know bought something at Costco and has been quite happy with
it. He said Ubuntu went on with no problems. He claims the laptop has
performed quite well and that it was inexpensive compared to laptops from
other retailers.

> I'd like to keep it in the $1300 or less range (preferably less).

I'm pretty sure the Costco laptop was under a grand.

ciao,

der.hans
#  When I work, I work hard. When I play, I play hard.
#  When I sit, I sleep. - Embe Kugler