Problems with Knoppix

Jon M. Hanson jon at the-hansons-az.net
Sat Apr 7 17:13:23 MST 2007

Mark Phillips wrote:
> I boot my laptop with the latest Knoppix v 5.1 CD. I then open a root
> terminal. I type
>
> md5sum  /dev/hda
>
> wait........
>
> and get a number. I then repeat the experiment, and get a different number!
>
> I have not mounted nor touched the local drive hda.
>
> I tried this at runlevel 5 using the cheat code nofstab, and at runlevel 3.
> Same results.
>
> Is this normal?
>
> I wanted to copy an image of my hard drive to another disk. I did that, but
> cannot get a consistent md5sum for the local drive to compare to the image I
> copied to another drive. I wanted to compare the 2 md5sums to insure I have a
> complete copy of the disk image before I reformat the drive for another
> project.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Mark Phillips

I can tell you without a doubt that an MD5 sum should be the same every
time on a file or device that is not changed.

Are you sure that Knoppix didn't mount the drive automatically?
Sometimes it will mount every partition that it sees on local hard drives.

If Knoppix isn't mounting the drive and you're still getting a different
MD5 sum every time then it may be time to test your memory. I had this
problem with a system I was using at work once (I was trying to MD5 sum
a file instead of a device, but it was coming up different occasionally
when the file wasn't changing). I think I got an entirely new
motherboard and it was fine but I would test the memory first in your case.

--
Jon M. Hanson (N7ZVJ)
Homepage:  http://the-hansons-az.net
Jabber IM: jon at the-hansons-az.net