Problems with Knoppix

Mark Phillips mark at phillipsmarketing.biz
Sat Apr 7 15:53:03 MST 2007

I boot my laptop with the latest Knoppix v 5.1 CD. I then open a root
terminal. I type

md5sum  /dev/hda

wait........

and get a number. I then repeat the experiment, and get a different number!

I have not mounted nor touched the local drive hda.

I tried this at runlevel 5 using the cheat code nofstab, and at runlevel 3.
Same results.

Is this normal?

I wanted to copy an image of my hard drive to another disk. I did that, but
cannot get a consistent md5sum for the local drive to compare to the image I
copied to another drive. I wanted to compare the 2 md5sums to insure I have a
complete copy of the disk image before I reformat the drive for another
project.

Thanks!

Mark Phillips