How do I save a disk image of my laptop hard drive?

Dan Lund situationalawareness at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 13:36:36 MST 2007

dd if=/dev/hda | gzip -9 -c | ssh userid at someremotehost ">
/directory/file-name-to-be-stored.gz

Replace /dev/hda with the drive you want backed up (or /dev/hda1 for
first partition), userid with the userid on the remote host your
backing up to, someremotehost with the hostname of the remote machine,
and /directory/file-name-to-be-stored.gz with the name of the file you
want it to be named as on the remote machine.. with the .gz extension.

On 4/6/07, Bryan O'Neal <BONeal at cornerstonehome.com> wrote:
> (Again I am sure some one has beaten me to this, but)
>
> dd will not compress your drive, so if you have an 80GB drive you will
> need at least 80GB of space. Though I remember some trick to this like
> dd|tar|zip|net but I do not recall.
>
> I have used several windows based tools off of a live windows diag disk
> I have (ultimate boot disk for windows 4) such as xml drive copy and
> they work great and are much cheaper then ghost, but somehow not as
> comforting as ghost...

"Courage is like love; it must have hope to nourish it."
-Napoleon Bonaparte