How do I save a disk image of my laptop hard drive?

Jon M. Hanson jon at the-hansons-az.net
Thu Apr 5 21:49:32 MST 2007

Mark Phillips wrote:
> On Thursday 05 April 2007 15:51, George Toft wrote:
>
>> Method 1:
>> 1.  Boot a knoppix cd
>> 2.  Open a root terminal window and issue this command:
>> dd if=/dev/hda | ssh user at someremotehost "> /path/to/file/backup.img"
>>

> When I tried this, I was prompted for my password for user at someremotehost,
> which I entered, and then just fell back to the root knoppix prompt.
>
> Do I have to mount /dev/hda first? How do I do that?
>
> Mark

No, do not mount the drive you want to image. You do not want open files
as you are trying to copy the drive.

Is this an IDE drive? If so, is it hda? Serial ATA drive are identified
as a SCSI device (sda, etc.). Depending on which port it's connected to
on your motherboard and what position on the cable it is (for IDE only)
affects whether it is hda, hdb, hdc, hdd, etc.

--
Jon M. Hanson (N7ZVJ)
Homepage:  http://the-hansons-az.net
Jabber IM: jon at the-hansons-az.net