How do I save a disk image of my laptop hard drive?

George Toft george at georgetoft.com
Thu Apr 5 15:51:20 MST 2007

Method 1:
1.  Boot a knoppix cd
2.  Open a root terminal window and issue this command:
dd if=/dev/hda | ssh user at someremotehost "> /path/to/file/backup.img"

Method 2:
Trinity - clone NTFS filesystems over the network
http://trinityhome.org/Home/index.php?wpid=1&front_id=12

Keep in mind you will be limited by your network or disk drive.
Experience has shown this takes a really long time for a large drive.
If you want to watch the progress:
1.  Log into someremotebox and issue this command:
watch "ls -lh /path/to/file/*"

To copy the image from the remote box:
ssh user at someremotehost "cat /path/to/file/backup.img" | dd of=/dev/hda

George Toft, CISSP, MSIS
623-203-1760