how to fix grub error 16 from kubuntu install?

Josef Lowder joe at actionline.com
Tue Apr 3 17:17:04 MST 2007

.
On Tue, 03 Apr 2007 15:28, Eric \"Shubes\" wrote
> Josef Lowder wrote:
> > Also tried the system rescue CD, as Eric suggested,
> > but the "install-mbr" option provides no guidance on
> > how to use it.  Tried install-mbr --help but got no help.
> > install-mbr --list is supposed to list options, but it does not.
> > It asks for parameters, but no info on what parameters are needed.
> >
> # install-mbr --help
> should produce the following:
>  Usage: install-mbr [options] <target>
>    -f, --force Override some sanity checks.
>    -I <path>, --install <path> Install code from the specified file.
>    -k, --keep Keep the current code in the MBR.
>    -l, --list Just list the parameters.
>    -n, --no-act Don't install anything.
>    -r, --reset Reset the parameters to the default state.
>    -v, --verbose Operate verbosely.
>    -V, --version Show version.
>    -h, --help Display this message.
>  Parameters:
>    -d <drive>, --drive <drive> Set BIOS drive number.
>    -e <option>, --enable <option> Select enabled boot option.
>    -i <mode>, --interrupt <keys> Set interrupt mode. (a/c/s/cs/n)
>    -p <partn>, --partition <partn> Set boot partition (0=whole disk).
>    -t <timeout>, --timeout <timeout> Set the timeout in 1/18 second.
>  Interrupt modes:
>    's'=Interrupt if shift or ctrl is pressed.
>    'k'=Interrupt if other key pressed.
>    'a'=Interrupt always.
>    'n'=Interrupt never.
>  Boot options:
>    '1','2','3' or '4' - Partition 1,2,3 or 4.
>    'F' - 1st floppy drive.
>    'A' - Advanced mode.
>
> Are you entering this from the command prompt after sysrescuecd boots?

Yes.  Did that.

install-mbr -l <E> produces zilch.

No other help that I could find to give me any clues,
so I tried the 'super grup' CD and that royally trashed the
system.  I've tried dozens of other things with no success.

So, I'm not trying a start-all-over install with

kubum-tu.