how to fix grub error 16 from kubuntu install?

Eric "Shubes" plug at shubes.net
Tue Apr 3 15:28:52 MST 2007

Josef Lowder wrote:
> .
> Also tried the system rescue CD, as Eric suggested,
> but the "install-mbr" option provides no guidance on
> how to use it.  Tried install-mbr --help but got no help.
> install-mbr --list is supposed to list options, but it does not.
> It asks for parameters, but no info on what parameters are needed.

# install-mbr --help
should produce the following:
 Usage: install-mbr [options] <target>
   -f, --force Override some sanity checks.
   -I <path>, --install <path> Install code from the specified file.
   -k, --keep Keep the current code in the MBR.
   -l, --list Just list the parameters.
   -n, --no-act Don't install anything.
   -r, --reset Reset the parameters to the default state.
   -v, --verbose Operate verbosely.
   -V, --version Show version.
   -h, --help Display this message.
 Parameters:
   -d <drive>, --drive <drive> Set BIOS drive number.
   -e <option>, --enable <option> Select enabled boot option.
   -i <mode>, --interrupt <keys> Set interrupt mode. (a/c/s/cs/n)
   -p <partn>, --partition <partn> Set boot partition (0=whole disk).
   -t <timeout>, --timeout <timeout> Set the timeout in 1/18 second.
 Interrupt modes:
   's'=Interrupt if shift or ctrl is pressed.
   'k'=Interrupt if other key pressed.
   'a'=Interrupt always.
   'n'=Interrupt never.
 Boot options:
   '1','2','3' or '4' - Partition 1,2,3 or 4.
   'F' - 1st floppy drive.
   'A' - Advanced mode.

Are you entering this from the command prompt after sysrescuecd boots?
--
-Eric 'shubes'