data recovery service, catastrophic failure

Lynn Newton lynn.newton at gmail.com
Mon Apr 2 13:45:14 MST 2007

On 4/2/07, Darrin Chandler <dwchandler at stilyagin.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 02, 2007 at 12:43:25PM -0700, Lynn Newton wrote:
> > I don't have that luxury.
>
> How much is that data worth to you again? You gave the distinct
> impression that it was quite important.

I wasn't speaking flippantly. The data is very important.

When I say I don't have the luxury, I mean simply that I don't have another
system to put the drive into, which was the suggestion/question offered.

This is the first and ideal solution of people who have real jobs in
IT departments and for businesses with rooms full of gear lying
around. This is just me by myself.

> This could be something as simple as the drive connectors not staying
> tight (SATA connectors are notorious for that).

I believe that this could very well be the case. The end of the cable
on the board is sitting in the connector socket with free play -- *lots*
of it. I don't know how it could have ever worked.

Obviously, I never noticed that when I put the system together. It's
behaved perfectly well for two full years.

> If you keep dinking with the drive in a flaky system, then you stand a
> *real* chance of losing your data, *especially* since some of the
> described flakiness directly relates to the drive functionality itself.

The drive is still physically in the system, but the system is now
unplugged and sitting on a table.

--
Lynn David Newton
Phoenix, AZ