data recovery service, catastrophic failure

Micah DesJardins micahdj at gmail.com
Mon Apr 2 13:26:38 MST 2007

I'd agree with Darrin. If you care about the data on that drive do not
connect it to anything but a known working system.  Frys sells
external drive enclosures that will convert SATA to USB for around $50
which would allow you to mount it on your mac, but the best solution
may just be to get to a friend's house with the drive and see if you
can mount it.  (Preferrably as a read only volume!)

I don't have any direct experience with Data Recovery services, but
the last time someone checked with Data Doctors here in town, the
quote was pretty high.  From Data Doctor's website, data recovery
solutions start at $350 and go up from there.

It is my understanding that most data from just about any drive CAN be
recovered.  The question becomes does the cost of recovery outweigh
the hassle of getting your data straightened out.

Good luck!

Micah